Yours Truly introduced today’s speaker, John Sullivan, from the Windsor-Roseland Rotary Club who is a Marriage Therapist. He is married to his wife, Chis, and they have two sons. John said that he’s convinced that tools are available to all of us to have relationships of our dreams. We’re all in relationships. In Canada the divorce rate is 40%! The remaining 60%, he said, were in hot relationships where there is fighting or feelings between the married couple is “cold” or the passion is gone.
John said he was an admirer of the works of Harville Hendricks - author of many best-selling relationship self-help books and someone who went through divorce himself. John shared a story about him and his wife who, after 15 years of marriage, separated and headed toward divorce. His wife read Hendricks’ book “Getting the Love You Want” which made a great point about most people getting rid of their spouse but taking the same problems with them in new relationships.
Four months later John and his wife were back together and are celebrating 41 years of marriage! When they got back together they attended one of Hendricks’ workshops. As a result, John has facilitated these very workshops helping couples with their marriages.